Azathoth
post Jun 26 2017, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Filthy Peasant

Group: Banned
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 5,238

Hello

Been playing Chivalry again after a break of 3 years. Was good to see that the big SM server was still going.
Ended up going in and enjoying the game.

All of a sudden i get kicked out of the game. Thought i might have been to make a free slot for a SM member. Tried to come back today, browser says i got banned.

As far as i know i have been following the rules. No teamkilling, not even typing stuff in chat, i believe i only typed that the game could be frustrating and sometimes i felt like tossing my pc through the window.

But suddenly i got banned apparently now i was thinking about it and i am guessing a very PC admin got triggered by interpreting my username as a hidden slur.

My steamname is Shub Niggurath, i already changed it to Niggurath. Now Shub Niggurath is a cosmic entity that was born in the mind of horror writer H.P. Lovecraft. Shub is my favorite Old one from the Mythos so i made my username on Steam Shub Niggurath. So i can only guess the admin thought it was a slur to Africans.. which it is not. Did not even get a warning either.

OR this; I got shredded by a player and i just typed: ''Nig nog'' Seconds after that my game shut down. Now i am guessing there is probably some racial slur that has been poured into that word by some image boards. But in etymology a nig nog means fool. I will post proof but i guess nobody will believe me i am serious because apparently everyone is a racist and if you say something that even sounds offensive you also mean it in an offensive way apparently.

Here is proof of Shub Niggurath
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shub-Niggurath

And here of the word ''nig nog' ( yes apparently there is a racist slur in the word too but it is a homonym then and well without context you can only assume.)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nig-nog

Now if you decide that i am still a racist that is fine. I was just trying to enjoy the game again on a server i liked to go to a few years back but if you can get banned for saying something or having a name that could be interpreted as something offensive and you believe i went to all this effort of explaining just to do it again, than i am glad to be banned because i would not like to play on that kind of server anyway but i think you are not that toxic. So this is me giving my 2 cents and we shall see what comes out of the basket with this.If it makes you feel better, if i get unbanned i will refrain from typing a word in chat out of fear of getting banned again. Maybe change my steam name every time i play chiv just to make sure i wont be racist banned again.

This post is dead serious and a bit sarcastic but i am not trolling. I have no idea what i did to get banned but those two reasons.

At any rate, thanks for reading the post i guess.

Made an account on here just for posting this.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marsche
post Jun 26 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Knight

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 172
Member No.: 4,443

I made the ban, seemed racist and unnecessary typing that when there are so many other options you could've choosed from ( http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fool ).
On top of that your nickname doesn't make the situation better. As it can easily be taken as yet another underaged-funny-kid-nickname rather than a reference nobody knows about.

If you edit your ban appeal and/or try again with removing some sarcasm and whatnot I might consider lifting the ban.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Marsche For This Useful Post:
Bucket
Azathoth
post Jun 26 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Filthy Peasant

QUOTE (Marsche @ Jun 26 2017, 06:21 PM) *
I made the ban, seemed racist and unnecessary typing that when there are so many other options you could've choosed from ( http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fool ).
On top of that your nickname doesn't make the situation better. As it can easily be taken as yet another underaged-funny-kid-nickname rather than a reference nobody knows about.

If you edit your ban appeal and/or try again with removing some sarcasm and whatnot I might consider lifting the ban

Well that just shows that you are being the narrowminded one insinuating people are childish and or racist. Keep me banned then. Just proves admin abuse in my eyes. Everything can be taken as a funny kid nickname, i find that a weak argument and i find it discriminating on your part. I could derive from your name Marsche that there is march hidden in it and therefore you like the army and are a warmongering person. Far fetched but just the same pattern you follow.

I did not break any rules, you just felt it right to abuse the admin power because you thought of something in terms of semantics forming your own opinion. Besides someone who considers Shub Niggurath like something childish... like a child could make it up.. You could have just asked for context but nope insta bann. Everything can be turned into something offensive if you want it to be.

Keep me banned i have no plans on returning to your server with this discriminating/ narrow minded attitude. You would probably just bann me again the moment i join for my nickname again and smirk behind your screen.

+Quote Post
Prince Sushi-Fuf...
post Jun 27 2017, 01:09 AM
Post #4

Filthy Peasant

Group: Members
Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 5,132

did this guy just talk his way out of being unbanned?

+Quote Post
Azathoth
post Jun 27 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Filthy Peasant

QUOTE (Prince Sushi-Fufu @ Jun 27 2017, 02:09 AM) *
did this guy just talk his way out of being unbanned?

No i will not get unbanned because i will not jump through his hoops.

+Quote Post
Bucket
post Jun 27 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #6

Knight Errant

Group: Veteran SM Members
Thank(s): 409
Member No.: 4,609

Ok, in that case, this thread can be closed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azathoth
post Jun 27 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #7

Filthy Peasant

QUOTE (Bucket @ Jun 27 2017, 12:20 PM) *
Ok, in that case, this thread can be closed.

Yup close it.

On a sidenote your servername is racist too since we are going down that path. Reffering to a sneaky monkey is a derogatory term reffering to Africans being sneaky as in thieves. I find it very racist. So everyone in this ''clan'' is a racist then..

+Quote Post
Marsche
post Jun 27 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #8

Knight

Thank(s): 172
Member No.: 4,443

QUOTE (Azathoth @ Jun 27 2017, 02:43 PM) *
Yup close it.

On a sidenote your servername is racist too since we are going down that path. Reffering to a sneaky monkey is a derogatory term reffering to Africans being sneaky as in thieves. I find it very racist. So everyone in this ''clan'' is a racist then..

Yup, you caught us red-handed. Now move along.

+Quote Post
Sir Robin (not s...
post Jun 27 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Knight Lieutenant

Group: Trusted non-SM
Thank(s): 524
Member No.: 4,846

You got what you wanted. You can stop trolling already.

+Quote Post
Azathoth
post Jun 27 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #10

Filthy Peasant

QUOTE (Sir Robin (not so brave) @ Jun 27 2017, 02:55 PM) *
You got what you wanted. You can stop trolling already.

Not trolling. Using your admin logic against you. Find it fantastic that admins are supposed to be mature people yet the only thing they do is write witty remarks and asks you to stroke their ego to even get them to consider their power abuse.

Can i delete my Sneaky Monkey account somehow? I have no further interest in talking to your group.

+Quote Post
Porsuk
post Jun 27 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #11

Knight Lieutenant

Thank(s): 231
Member No.: 4,348

QUOTE (Azathoth @ Jun 27 2017, 02:24 PM) *
Not trolling. Using your admin logic against you. Find it fantastic that admins are supposed to be mature people yet the only thing they do is write witty remarks and asks you to stroke their ego to even get them to consider their power abuse.

Can i delete my Sneaky Monkey account somehow? I have no further interest in talking to your group.

Maybe you can stop looking at this topic and reply all answers. Also try log out. It may fix that for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azathoth
post Jun 27 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #12

Filthy Peasant

QUOTE (Porsuk @ Jun 27 2017, 04:51 PM) *
Maybe you can stop looking at this topic and reply all answers. Also try log out. It may fix that for you.

I asked to DELETE the account you pustulent hemoroid but apparently you are even too inept to answer this question. GFY...entitled twat.

+Quote Post
AsDeR
post Jun 27 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #13

Knight Errant

Thank(s): 283
Member No.: 4,445

I know I'm the first one to ask you guys to not reply and don't feed the troll, etc. But this thread is just too funny.

+Quote Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AsDeR For This Useful Post:
Bucket, DARwin, doreanh, Nexton, Porsuk, The Malefic Trout
MonkeyFiend
post Jun 28 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #14

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1098
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

Within mere seconds I pegged you for someone trying to justify their actions by falling back on pedantic etymology. Was not disappointed.

The sort of person that argues that calling someone a faggot is in fact based on other word uses e.g. like a faggot being a meatball https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food) and therefore not homophobic slang at all

As marsche says, you were banned for using the term 'nig nog' - you chose that phrase without context instead of any other? Maybe such an expert in semantics, linguistics and the etymology of words as yourself would be aware of the connotations.

Regardless it's not really about the source of such phrases in their original usage, it's how they're viewed in common parlance. And that's precisely how it's viewed: you take the 64 players on the server and ask them what a nignog is, I doubt anyone will say "oh it obviously means "Nigmenog; a very silly Fellow" - the common interpretation is the 2nd meaning from your link and that's how it would be interpreted. As such the strict "no racist language" rules apply. Note: this means you were removed for using racist language, not for being a racist. From evidence, I can't tell if you're racist or not, just that you've used a term that would commonly be considered racist.

I'm curious if you'd call someone a 'nig nog' face to face then patronisingly explain to them it actually means fool? That's rhetoric, I don't really care: if you would, it would portray you as an arse and if you wouldn't it bolsters my point.

I note that when similar incidents have arisen in the past with other players, the appeals process has typically been either "sorry didn't realise the meaning" or "sorry it won't happen again" and have generally been unbanned at that point.

Regarding the removal of account, no. It'll just be marked as banned but not removed (so you don't have to worry about the temptation of further replies). You seem like the sort of person to go spouting garbage in the steam forums and reddit about how you got banned for having the name "Shub Niggurath" when in fact it was already explained it was for using the term "nig nog". Leaving the account in place means that anyone wishing for a second opinion on the matter can do a quick google of your steam account, read it themselves independently without the bias you or we are likely to apply.

Regardless of some of the tongue in cheek response, having read the thread from start to finish, I feel this thread as a whole reflects considerably more poorly on you than it does on SM and the admins that upheld our rules correctly here.

/Closing thread

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyFiend For This Useful Post:
AsDeR, doreanh, Nexton, Porsuk, The Malefic Trout

Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:39 PM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com