IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People need to educate themselves about the Boomstick ;)
KANE
post Apr 28 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #1

Page

Group: Members
Thank(s): 23
Member No.: 4,919

Its getting tiresome hearing stupid bleating comments from people i kill in game about this.

First lets get it out the way. The Brandi is not the best most OP weapon in the game. That lies soley with the Messer but just my opinion.

This has been talked about to death and it boggles the mind that some people still bleat brandi noob blah blah blah. (usually while rocking a messer or a zwei lol)

Lets link other opinions ehh in case you thought i was just making all this up.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/219640/discu...20656457658303/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/comme...for_each_class/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/comme...for_each_class/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/comme...t_and_vanguard/

No mass posts about how the brandi is vastly op???

With the brandi, no combo...ill repeat that NO COMBOS. A lot of advanced tactics utilize combos (and ofc no windup and way easier disguised hits). It is limited when fighting in close range combat..which is what everyone does when they encounter a brandi or spear/HB user.

Because no combos you have to be way more accurate with the hits. A combo user e.g. messer/zwei can afford to miss no problem (in fact that is a big part of their combat strategy)

The messer is a complete beast at medium and short ranges due to its impressive drag/accel potential factor and combo abilities. I would also add that the zwei is deadly for these reasons as well.

The brandis only effective range is long range. Its excellent at this and does damage comparable both to messer and maul (other top tier weapons). However one thing it certainly is not equal to messer (and zwei and other weapons) is drag/acceleration potential + combo abilities)

The top tier main melee weapons in chiv imo in order (not counting dagger)

1. messer, 2. zwei, 3. SOW, 4.maul 5. brandi

Factoring... damage, speed, combo ability and acceleration/decel ability.

Not talking about duel mode (in duel spear is easier over brandi)

I personally think the devs did an excellent job with melee balance in this game. Archer is another thread entirely for another day.

Using spear/brandi weapon is a PLAYSTYLE. It comprises mainly stabs and overheads and very rarely LMB. Because very rarely LMB then tks and td will be very low in TO. This is another reason i user spear type weapons..... Yeah thats right out of KINDNESS tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Apr 28 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #2

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

(Please note I assume we're talking about TO, in duels it's probably a lot different)

I'm sorry but it's (in my opinion) practically impossible to perform poorly with either the spear or brandi unless you choose to suck on purpose.

Back when I was a total noob and could not for the love of me kill anything with any of the weapons, I stumbled upon this Youtube video by either HEXEN or Tehripper, in which he praised spears a lot - I tried it and was able to do exceptionally well with it. Even now, it takes absolutely no effort for me to to get in the top 5 with the brandi.
Once again, I'm sorry, but for me it along with the spear have always just been the easiest weapons to do well with. Their reach is deceptive as hell, and the brandi hits like a truck.

In my eyes it's no an OP weapon, it's just the easiest weapon to do well with - yeah you can do crazy shit with it but even if you don't and half-ass it, you're still going to perform pretty well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KANE
post Apr 28 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #3

Page

Yeah i said in my post not talking about duel mode tongue.gif

If we are talking kill counts then its much much easier to do well with claymore or zwei or any weapon really that can reach multiple opponents in one or more swings (combos). You can stay in the heart of combat much much easier. For a spear/brandi you have to engage then get out then attack again. Not as fluid as a combo fast attacking weapon. For those weapons dps much higher than a brandi.

If you are fighting 2 or 3 + then its much much more advisable to have a zwei or a messer than a brandi or spear. Spear and brandi are good for striking from long range but engaging multiple opponents not as effective.

Its v easy to counter a spear/brandi type weapon. Just get past their optimum range. In close you can easily wreck them. So i dont know why people have so much trouble with it. e.g. maas easily eat up them.

Also to add. It is a top tier weapon but i agree totally it has a lower skill ceiling than the other weapons i mention...main reason for that is because it is more restrictive you cannot combo. The playstyle is totally different and more limited from combo- type weapons. So basically the brandi does not have access to advanced attacks that you can get with messer/zwei etc etc.

Its main draw is it hits like a truck yep but if we are thinking in dark souls terms here.. xD its upgrade possibilities and moveset are more limited than the other weapons i mentioned.

+Quote Post
Sir Robin (not s...
post Apr 28 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #4

Knight Lieutenant

Group: Trusted non-SM
Thank(s): 524
Member No.: 4,846

QUOTE (KANE @ Apr 28 2017, 02:42 PM) *
Its getting tiresome hearing stupid bleating comments from people i kill in game about this.

I always read these comments as "I suck" and I just ignore them. Not that I get them as much smile.gif

A few times I was a bit annoyed by such remarks (I'm primarily using a messer) and I told them to use it themselves if they think it's THAT good. That has always shut them up.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Sir Robin (not so brave) For This Useful Post:
FrostBurn
FrostBurn
post Apr 28 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Peasant

Thank(s): 20
Member No.: 5,145

Not gonna lie, the Spear is my favourite weapon. I like to poke people from behind knights, and if I hit a friend, TD is very little. It takes skill though to know how many hits you can drop before running away, what range will you reach with lunges and how the little increase in speed with the thrust instead of the "overhead" can throw enemies off timing if you mostly used the overheads (charged thrusts, scroll down).
A good thing about spear LMB is that it reaches far back so you can actually almost hit people behind you with it. It staggers MAA and crowds easily because they don't expect it

I think the zwei is the easiest. Stabs are just as good as a brandi, you can drag them a bit too. The overheads and LMBs are devastating especially if you learn to only hit the enemy with a charge, ending the animation 10 inches from your ally biggrin.gif Dragging is crazy

Perhaps Messer is even better but mostly because the knight has it, and so a knight can trade blow with anything except another knight and kill it in 2 hits.

+Quote Post
surprise_FIN
post Apr 30 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Page

Group: Trusted non-SM
Thank(s): 13
Member No.: 4,513

That's why I like from time to time play with halberd. It has enough damage for me but it has that range and possibility for combos.

+Quote Post
KANE
post Apr 30 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Page

I like the moveset of the halberd but i would be wrecking my team mates all over the place sad.gif The spear is probably my favourite weapon for accuracy, range and speed and clean hits and less chance of td and tk.

But if i'm fighting multiple opponents then if i have the brandi then i know i can survive longer than i can with the spear. If i see my team overpowered and i like the map i usually change to the brandi. When ppl see you have a spear they dont stop. If they see the brandi they do smile.gif

+Quote Post
KANE
post May 1 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #8

Page

Another thing i wasnt explicit on is that against higher rank opponents they utilize CFTP. But as you know spear/brandi etc cant combo so they cant utilize this mechanic which is a bummer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SykQQx05S1o

So yeah brandi isnt easy mode at all. Basically fighting with most of the advanced combat not available to you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:54 AM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com