Not Sure
post Sep 11 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Filthy Peasant

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 5,288

Hello there;

I have really enjoyed the Chivalry server. I have been playing on it for some weeks. I usually have ping in the range of 150-200 though. It is usually around 180, maybe 188 or 192. I was just wondering if I have been banned as I have been unable to connect recently. SM Frostburn kicked me for high ping and I have been unable to join since. Is having a high ping really that disruptive? My ping is usually around 180. I also do the reconnect option if I have high packet loss or high ping to try and fix things.

Steam name: Keetel
Game name: Not Sure
Incident date: 9/11/2017
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Sep 11 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

Hey there! smile.gif

It's a 10 hour ban issued for joining the game right after you were kicked for a high ping - as such it's completely justified.

Generally speaking it is distruptive as even if a single high ping will not make the entire server lag, players usually find it annoying and unfair to face players with a higher ping (due to lag/ghosting). I'm sorry to inform you but the ping limit on the server is 180. sad.gif Perhaps you could switch to ethernet connection and turn off wi fi on every other device while you're playing - it usually does the trick and will probably help you bring the ping down to just under the limit.

Hope I helped!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Not Sure
post Sep 11 2017, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Filthy Peasant

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 5,288

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Sep 11 2017, 11:27 AM) *
Hey there! smile.gif

It's a 10 hour ban issued for joining the game right after you were kicked for a high ping - as such it's completely justified.

Generally speaking it is distruptive as even if a single high ping will not make the entire server lag, players usually find it annoying and unfair to face players with a higher ping (due to lag/ghosting). I'm sorry to inform you but the ping limit on the server is 180. sad.gif Perhaps you could switch to ethernet connection and turn off wi fi on every other device while you're playing - it usually does the trick and will probably help you bring the ping down to just under the limit.

Hope I helped!

How is it completely justified? I am using an Ethernet cable now. Where is this server based anyway? I don't think my high ping helps me at all, actually makes things harder for me. Thanks for the reply anyway...

+Quote Post
Sir Robin (not s...
post Sep 11 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Knight Lieutenant

Group: Trusted non-SM
Thank(s): 524
Member No.: 4,846

The server is located in the UK.

High ping has a few effects. For one, it makes blocking your attacks harder. It is as if you are dragging the whole time. If you also have high packet loss, it makes for the so-called ghost hits. That is, hits that go straight through the opponent's block or shield.

Another negative effect is, that if you have a few high pingers, or one, but very high (like 300+) the whole server is lagging. I'm not sure why this is happening, but when I experience it I almost always find high pingers. And after kicking them out, things go back to normal.

Temporary banning for repeated entering with high ping is justified, because it worsens the game for the other players and because the admin has to constantly check if you're back and if your ping is normal or not.

+Quote Post
MonkeyFiend
post Sep 12 2017, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1096
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

It is unfortunate that the US servers are becoming deserted, we're seeing a lot more players from the states joining us in Europe with bad pings.

The decision is justified in that we try and maintain a level of playability for the majority of the server, especially given the gamecode is running well past its limits at 64 players (but we like the battles at this amount!) whilst the server can handle some high pingers, as more join it increases the frame processing time on the server, which makes everyone's pings go up. The discernible effect of a large amount of high pingers on the server is it makes people warp a bit more. In a game based on reactions and timing this can be pretty bad.

The rules of the server state that anyone with a ping regularly above 180ms can be kicked. In the case of that person returning repeatedly with the same ping would be banned.

It's nothing personal, as mentioned we just need to ensure the majority of players on the server get the best gameplay they can.

Your IP looks like a western (Colorado?) type range, you could probably get better pings on East/Central/Western servers rather than in the UK and Europe

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:13 AM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com