IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Is excessive ground sniffing still banned?
KANE
post Dec 6 2017, 03:36 PM
Post #1

Page

Group: Members
Thank(s): 23
Member No.: 4,919

Hi SM folk,

Just wondered if groundsniffing as described here is still banned on the Chivalry server?

high fov 3rd person overheads (apart from increased view range, the 3rd person allows a player to present a slightly smaller target while still having full visibilty), something not possible in 1st person mode. Additionally the look-down aspect means the release of a shot has to travel 90 degrees less to reach the same point as a person standing upright, the travel time is a fraction of a second, but it's enough to give a major unintended advantage to those who do it correctly.

and

Floor sniffing: the use of high FOV 3rd person look down overheads. Since the usable strike begins to the rear of the weapon (at the players back), use of this mechanic reduces swing time of the weapons as it takes 90 degree less to reach the same point as a player standing upright, therefore gives a speed advantage. Such an advantage only exists in 3rd person as the player would be staring at their own feet - so would be pointless in 1st person.

Do you regard it as an exploit?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
The Malefic Trou...
post Dec 6 2017, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

Not sure I myself would call ground sniffing an exploit, but it's quote an annoying mechanism.

It is forbidden but only in apparent and extreme cases - that is when a player keeps doing it all the time. If we were to ban for occasional GS there'd probably be nobody left on the server.

Edit: I actually went through some of the log files and there's not a single ban issued for this specified reason. And that makes sense - players most likely always get warned beforehand for doing this and simply stop a ban can/should be made.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to The Malefic Trout For This Useful Post:
surprise_FIN
Haich
post Dec 6 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Peasant

Thank(s): 11
Member No.: 5,283

Helo Hiak here I want to think about mine on the subject LLLL I think the big user is he should be banned exploit? breaking the ground be plann bannable stop him he score the top tables always due to exploit.

Acknowledgments

Business inquiries: http://steamcommunity.com/id/HaichTheSuicidal

--------------------
YouTube Sensation.

+Quote Post
KANE
post Dec 6 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Page

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Dec 6 2017, 04:46 PM) *
Not sure I myself would call ground sniffing an exploit, but it's quote an annoying mechanism.

It is forbidden but only in apparent and extreme cases - that is when a player keeps doing it all the time. If we were to ban for occasional GS there'd probably be nobody left on the server.

Edit: I actually went through some of the log files and there's not a single ban issued for this specified reason. And that makes sense - players most likely always get warned beforehand for doing this and simply stop a ban can/should be made.

Well main reason being as the same principle applies to instant ROH. No windup at all. If you look at the description for why floorsniffers are banned part of the reason is same for instant ROH moves.

the release of a shot has to travel 90 degrees less to reach the same point as a person standing upright, the travel time is a fraction of a second, but it's enough to give a major unintended advantage to those who do it correctly.

Is that allowed or not? smile.gif

p.s. please ignore Haich he is trying to super derail my thread tongue.gif

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Dec 7 2017, 11:22 AM
Post #5

Knight Errant

Generally speaking - not allowed. But you won't really see a player punished for it unless it's absolutely blatant and being done all the time. Occasional sniff (from time to time, as part of a combo and such) here and there is fine in my book.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KANE
post Dec 7 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #6

Page

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Dec 7 2017, 11:22 AM) *
Generally speaking - not allowed. But you won't really see a player punished for it unless it's absolutely blatant and being done all the time. Occasional sniff (from time to time, as part of a combo and such) here and there is fine in my book.

OK. Are you talking about groundsniffing or instant ROH? both?

If its ROH please gently remind Bloodsky about it. wink.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyFiend
post Dec 7 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #7

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1096
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

Groundsniffing is technically still banned but:

1. There was one particular player that used this excessively and he's not around any more
2. The devs did patch some of the turn limits, so is less of a problem
3. There's no current player that I've seen any evidence of that would warrant an extreme measure such as a ban.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Dec 7 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #8

Knight Errant

I was talking about groundsniffing all this time, Kane.

As for ROH - I'm positive it's not banned. Difficult to pull off reliably. At this point we would probably have to ban dragging as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KANE
post Dec 7 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #9

Page

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Dec 7 2017, 09:01 PM) *
I was talking about groundsniffing all this time, Kane.

As for ROH - I'm positive it's not banned. Difficult to pull off reliably. At this point we would probably have to ban dragging as well.

instant roh relies on very similar exploitative technique unfortunately which is why i was a tad aggrieved that an SM member would use it so much the other day.

Dragging was intended by devs instant roh was not thats why dragging is legit.

But nevermind.

+Quote Post
Marsche
post Dec 8 2017, 09:54 AM
Post #10

Knight

Thank(s): 172
Member No.: 4,443

QUOTE (KANE @ Dec 7 2017, 11:15 PM) *
instant roh relies on very similar exploitative technique unfortunately which is why i was a tad aggrieved that an SM member would use it so much the other day.

Dragging was intended by devs instant roh was not thats why dragging is legit.

But nevermind.

Well if we remove 3rd person 95% of these "exploits" (and many more) would be gone. We tried a vote to lock 1st person only but unfortunately a lot of people are disabled without it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to Marsche For This Useful Post:
Jairon
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 8 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #11

Squire

Thank(s): 127
Member No.: 4,948

Oh, speak of the devil. The last time I read the word groundsniffing before this thread was when Belmez was fresh, but today I kicked someone for it.
Warhammer + Towershield; every move a kick or a completely pulled down overhead

Or was he just roleplaying as a carpenter?

@Hiak: It is your word against his, but maybe we can find another lotion. How do you say? Bußgeld.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:00 AM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com