MonkeyFiend
post Oct 17 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1098
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

Well having spent the past 2 days playing the WarZ alpha.. here's what I've found so far:

My obvious comparison here is going to be with DayZ. DayZ I still like the concept is excellent, for me it fails specifically in the area of bugs, hackers and poorly implemented functions. Therefore the WarZ led to a chance of having a more polished version of DayZ built to spec on it own engine.

I've heard of many reports of crashes on WarZ - it is alpha after all. Personally in several hours of playing the game has crashed to desktop once. Another occasion it look like the server restarted, but that's it. Graphics-wise the game on high is much prettier than DayZ and the lower settings should be fine for lower specc'd machines. While the alpha map is somewhat limited it doesn't feel very polished - lots of little settlements with a bit of forest/road between them.

Unlike DayZ weapons and ammo are often found outside. The game is currently flooded with players and first experience has been that everyone is going for PvP - I suspect int he main release of the game this will change as incentives are made for people collaborating such as being allowed in a larger variety of trading posts for weapons/suppliers whereas bandits will only be able to use one. During the alpha there is no such incentive therefore 99% of people will try and kill you on sight.

Interestingly at the moment, you have night vision at the start (it will be collectable in the full release) and tend to start off the game with either nothing or a torch/bandage. The toch certainly attracts players at night and can be seen from a great distance. With the torch equipped you can also beat a player to death in 2-3 shots. Players don't seem to be able to hear the footsteps of other players - meaning providing someone isn't constantly checking behind them it makes it very easy to creep up on someone and beat them to death for a can of juice.

Night/Day cycles run much faster than Dayz, which is good for the likes of me who generally players during nighttime. The developers stressed that they did not want a play to win aspect to the game. Looking at the in-game marketplace, you can buy a spiked baseball bat, which is a bit of an advantage over a torch. Regardless of what the devs reckon, this does seem like a paid for edge at lower levels.

Today I found a hockey mask. Most people haven't accustomed themselves to the controls as yet: many people seem to run around with their weapons out. Although large weapons like sniper rifles can't be hidden (you're either holding them or stowed on your shoulder) smaller weapons can be hidden. So far I've had great success with the running around weapons-less, usually someone with a flashlight decides to come beat me to death. As they approach I quickly switch to a metal baseball bat and beat them to it.

In this way I looked a high power sniper rifle with no ammo. Fortunately I then found some ammo. My triumph didn't last long, someone shortly after killed me in one shot with another rifle. It's interesting balance at the moment for melee/guns - both will kill Players quickly, 2-3 melee shot or often one shot with a gun. Compared to zombie where they tend to die after a head-shot but can take many beats to the head with spiked bat/flashlight/hammer/baseball bat. Not sure if this is intentional.

Zombies move at fastish speed, you have a stamina limited sprint option and therefore can often outrun them. They do not slow down in building and like Dayz can often block the only way out. I have seen quite a few bugged zombies (running on the spot).

At the moment the game seems like if you have no weapons you've got nothing to lose so should try and beat anyone to death with a flash-light to steal their stuff. Zombies are practically invincible to melee at the moment, so not even worth considering fighting. If you loot a gun, at this point it's probably best to go hide elsewhere and snipe with it as generally speaking you get picked off before you even know where the enemy is if they see you with a gun.

Overall the game is fairly pretty, but the maps need more work. There is most definitely balance issues. The bugs need sorting out and the levels need bulking out with more buildings (or control item spawn based on player count). That being said there's definitely some potential there to make a damn good game, however at the moment I still feel dayz (even with it's rampant bugs/hacking is still stronger for an experience perspective).

Btw: in case you didn't know the standalone DayZ game is also planned to be released in December, so potentially a stronger rival to the WarZ then

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fido77
post Oct 25 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Knight Lieutenant

Group: Clan Members
Thank(s): 1
Member No.: 124

I have had no crashes so far. I have not found any weapons outside. I mainly find water or a hat. I did find a shotgun once, but then I was killed by a zombie that did not move. There does seem to be quite a bit of PvP. I have been killed by another player only once so far, but keep seeing people talk about it in the in game chat. The food and water levels go pretty quickly so you gotta try to keep some food and water at all times.

I think it will be an ok game when it is released. There is quite a bit of content that is not availble in the alpha such as friends list, squad play, or any other features for playing with friends. From what the developers have been saying these are things that are going to be implemented in the full version.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:32 PM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com