Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Left 4 Ravenholm
Sneaky Monkeys Forum > Support > Maps & Coding
MonkeyFiend
Prior to the official SDK coming out am not going to start building maps, it does however make sense to take pre-built maps for other games e.g. team fortress, css and port them into L4D

Now one of the finest games of all-time has some levels that would seem pretty perfect for L4D...

Half Life 2; Ravenholm areas

I've managed to coax this into working but is still very much messy and requires a hell of a lot of texture/model conversion

Pros: prebuilt and wellmade maps
Cons: requires approx 1.35gb of files, some events don't work, zombies don't spawn properly, would breach copyright and server contracts to use

When built, I suspect using this on our servers won't attract too much attention.

I need to get some time (possibly this weekend) when Tess isn't about to put some proper time into it

Will try and post some screenshots this weekend smile.gif
Magik5
sweet, if u need a hand... ill try and help....

as for ravenholm, i SHIT myself everytime i go there.

can you get the hl2 zombies in l4d?

and more importantly, if so, can you give the hl2 zombies the same power as say a hunter or a smoker...
MonkeyFiend
not without some serious mucking around, it would be the L4D horde HL2 map

When importing HL2 models I found it makes everything run very slowly, I assume the L4D is lower polycounts etc., to allow for more of them on the screen

Anything requiring physics manipulation has also been a nono so far, I've had to remove phyics tiggered door and place a couple of items in places where you'd normally move boxes to jump on.

Still requires a lot of work before it's useable though
=R6= Raile
what's up with the copyright issues? converting Valve's HL2 maps into Valve's L4D game is a copyright problem?
MonkeyFiend
Because while you may own L4D, but this doesn't mean you own Half Life 2.

Such a mod would, in essence, allow HL2 content (although heavily butchered) for free

There also inumerable clauses about modifying such levels and interfereing with game code. Shoe-horning this into working on L4D also requires hex editing, res-hacking, decompiling and generally monkeying around with there precious code

no company likes you doing this to any of their games, so they write clauses into server provision contracts etc.,
=R6= Raile
oic
yep and i forgot that owning l4d doesn't mean owning hl2, just because I do biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.