MonkeyFiend
post Jan 11 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1098
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

I just wanted to post my thoughts (long rant) on the use of unlocks. On our server the use of all weapons , including unlocks is allowed. It has been this way since the beggining of the clan.

Additionally its a requirement of ranked servers.

My feelings on this is that unlocks should be allowed as they are part of the game. People often complain about 'unlocks' when what they actually mean is certain specific weapons (mostly the f2000/l85/g36e)

I can't remember the last time was accussed of being skilless for using the mp7/jackhamemr etc., tongue.gif

Now with regards to the ones that people do moan about, they all have their pro's and cons. People moan about noobtube for example - the AK/f2000 are powerful on auto, accurate on single shot and the noobtube can be devestating if used correctly.

Most of the people moaning about this tend to play medic - who are faster (more stamina), can heal themselves after each fight and get additional points for hurling medi-packs around the map and even more points for reviving dead players.

While a medic may not have the firepower of an assault trooper (which is correct IMO) they have advantages in other areas as above.

Basically if there was a weapon that gave a distinct advantage to the game play - everyone would use it.

In one of the earlier patches PKM accuracy was increased and I witnessed many servers where 95% of players were using PKM. Obviously this was fixed in another patch. (1.3-1.4?)

What I mean is that if the f2000 was such a good weapon (and therefore worthly of being called skilless) then surely everyone would use it.

For me it gives some balance - the MEC assault uses an AK which is comparable (and probably better) than the f2000 and frankly is much better than the M16. In my eyes using an f2000 restores some of the balance of the two assault teams.

Other pros/cons exist e.g.. l85 is great on single shot but pants on full auto etc., but this is mostly to highlight my point.

Those people that insist we should be using unlocks are trying to restrict everyone else to using the weapons that they feel most comfortable dealing with - this would be like me saying everyone else has to use noobtube. (although I think that might be fun tongue.gif)

Basically what I'm getting at is this:

if certain guns (like l85/f2000) were too good everyone would use them.

If a player indeed lacks skill and has to use a 'skilless' g36e, then surely a 'skillful' player with a non-unlock should still triumph overall. On the times I've used the m16 or ak I've not noticed any difference in killing people regardless of their own choice of weapon.

one on one battles rarely come down to the choice of gun, instead they come down to the individual skill or tactics of those involved.

Give me a private noob with a g36e instead of a decent player with an mp5 or similar guff non-unlock anyday - irrelevent of my own choice of weapons. If some unlocked weapons are indeed better, then why don't you use them yourselves?

forgive me if I'm not a believer of resounding altruism over the internet and the attempt of 'but I'd 0wn everyone too much, rofl' will, quite rightly, make you sound like a gibbering retard.

In the world of bf2 stats etc., if someone can do better with certain guns then they will use them, unless practicing for things like ED/Clanbase etc,.

What I believe is that some people choose to use non-unlocks in general games simply so they can (at least in their minds) elevate themselves above the rest of the server - so that they can feel good about condecending on people who do choose to use unlocks. Basically like giving themselves the moral highground for not using 'nooby' weapons.

I personally find that quite sad.

When I play US assualt, I use the f2000 - simply I find this to be balanced to the AK. I also don't like the 3 shot burst type guns like the m16.

Finally looking at the actual stats of the guns, the best on overall accuracy/power/recoil/spread/deviation etc., is the AK.

A non unlock in case you didn't notice.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:54 PM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com