IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ban appeal (and complaint about an admin)
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Peasant

Group: Members
Thank(s): 0
Member No.: 5,334

Hello everyone,

Let me start this by saying I have no ill will towards anyone, but I feel like I should get this out in the open to prevent the death of one of my favorite servers.

It's about a certain admin I've been observing for a couple of weeks now, and his name is Airplane.
This one time I kicked him ONCE because I knew the game was going to be over in a couple of seconds, and he kicked me from that game. When I returned to the game he threatened to ban me for a couple of days if I ever kicked a team mate again. At that point I immediately knew he enjoys asserting his powers over other players, and my suspicions were confirmed last night.

You see, I was using the catapult and another player from my team kept throwing javelins at me. Some other player I didn't know started a votekick against him, so I'm sure it wasn't only me he was harassing. Sadly the votekick failed so I started a vote myself, but it failed as well. So being desperate I asked if any admins could take action instead, but my plead was not heard, so I went back to the catapult. Of course not even a minute later the same player threw a javelin at me AGAIN, so I decided to defend myself. I kicked him into the water and I was immediately banned while the instigator was probably left alone. Was I just banned from that single game? No. Was I banned for one day? No. I am still banned the next day even though I was only protecting myself. And what was his reason? ''We don't deal with trolls like that.'' Really? I'm not allowed to defend myself even though I waited patiently for an Admin to take action? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he waited for me to defend myself so he could ban me.

So why do I write this wall of text? Because I fear the server will die if players keep getting banned for several days (or permanently) for simple misdemeanors.
Chivalry already doesn't have a huge player base these days, so it might not just be the server he's destroying single-handedly, but the entire game.

Thanks in advance.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 14 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #2

Squire

Thank(s): 127
Member No.: 4,948

TKing someone that TK'd you is not acceptable. If you think someone has done it intentionally then either a kick vote or report it to an admin (otherwise people just spout the usual excuse of 'but he started it first and I was just defending myself')
No tk'ing/kicking people who are AFK. The only reason to kick a teammate is if they are blocking an exit.

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #3

Peasant

There were TWO votekicks against the player and afterwards I asked an Admin for help. Nothing happened.

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Dec 14 2017, 09:59 PM
Post #4

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

Hello there!
Please, first read the rules:RULES

The only reason to kick a teammate is if they are blocking an exit.

Free for all is only permitted when a round has already ended. As such, Airplane had every right and authority to kick you from the server for attacking him (yes, that does include kicking) before that.

Also:
TKing someone that TK'd you is not acceptable. If you think someone has done it intentionally then either a kick vote or report it to an admin (otherwise people just spout the usual excuse of 'but he started it first and I was just defending myself')

Once again, such situations like the one you described occur all the time and we encourage players to report it - please note that there are 64 players on the server, and just because Airplane didn't react right away doesn't mean he was being lazy, we often are already spectating or observing another player, or going through the player list looking for high pings or AFK players. Or frankly, just missed your message. We're human after all.
What you could have done is either take a screenshot or record a video and post it here as many players have done in the past. That'd be the best option, really.

I hope you can see now and understand that Airplane did nothing wrong, it's all in the rules. Therefore, we can't talk about abuse here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Malefic Trout For This Useful Post:
doreanh, Monseigneur Duc du Foutre
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Peasant

You can even see me asking you for help in the fracking screenshot you posted.

+Quote Post
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 14 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Squire

And you can see me spectating the player in question in that screenshot. I stopped playing just to do that.

The problem is that trolls like to play it cool for a couple of minutes after they have been reported and I was willing to wait it out, silently observing him.

Too bad that you shot yourself in the foot. And now you are digging your own grave.

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Peasant

QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Dec 14 2017, 09:59 PM) *
Hello there!
Please, first read the rules:RULES

Free for all is only permitted when a round has already ended. As such, Airplane had every right and authority to kick you from the server for attacking him (yes, that does include kicking) before that.

The round was already over. My mate was carrying the flag and he said he was gonna finish it with 100% certainty.
QUOTE (The Malefic Trout @ Dec 14 2017, 09:59 PM) *
Also:

just because Airplane didn't react right away doesn't mean he was being lazy, we often are already spectating or observing another player, or going through the player list looking for high pings or AFK players. Or frankly, just missed your message. We're human after all.

The thing is, he literally kicked me instantly before he even kicked the original problem creator.
The guy I kicked in self-defense hadn't even hit the water yet before I got banned.

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #8

Peasant

QUOTE (__ the AIRPLANE @ Dec 14 2017, 10:04 PM) *
And you can see me spectating the player in question in that screenshot. I stopped playing just to do that.

The problem is that trolls like to play it cool for a couple of minutes after they have been reported and I was willing to wait it out, silently observing him.

Too bad that you shot yourself in the foot. And now you are digging your own grave.

See what I mean? What is with this unnecessary hostility?
I'm digging my own grave how? For complaining about unfair use of admin powers?

+Quote Post
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 14 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #9

Squire

The round was already over. My mate was carrying the flag and he said he was gonna finish it with 100% certainty.

Oh, I'm sorry, but your mate didn't bother informing me of his certainty. For the record the round is over when the last objective is carried out; the loosing team is forced to use fisticuffs and the traditional brutal massacre begins.
And yes, I am very strict about kicking people off the server for kicking teammates. In gameplay terms that bit of damage is oftentimes enough to make the difference between surviving a hit from a strong weapon (Zweihaender, Maul, etc.) and crumbling.
Edit: Coincidentally, regenerating those HP takes just as much time as going into the playerlist and looking up the offenders name. Rejoining the server doesn't take much longer.

The thing is, he literally kicked me instantly before he even kicked the original problem creator.

That is simply not true. It took me a couple of seconds to type out your name and the reason for banning you (100 hours if I remember correctly).

What is with this unnecessary hostility?

Huh? Using an idiom? Hostility? After you said:

At that point I immediately knew he enjoys asserting his powers over other players, and my suspicions were confirmed last night.

Please don't kinkshame me.

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to __ the AIRPLANE For This Useful Post:
doreanh
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #10

Peasant

QUOTE (__ the AIRPLANE @ Dec 14 2017, 10:34 PM) *
but your mate didn't bother informing me of his certainty.

But I did after I rejoined. Somehow the warning was still in effect even though I never broke any rules to begin with?
And you could say ''Yadayada there was still time on the clock'' but that just seems like a lame excuse at this point.
And yes, I am very strict about kicking people off the server for kicking teammates. In gameplay terms that bit of damage is oftentimes enough to make the difference between surviving a hit from a strong weapon

You don't have to tell me. I get annoyed as fuck when someone randomly kicks me. You were however waiting for the flag to respawn, so it would've given you enough time to regenerate to full health.
That is simply not true. It took me a couple of seconds to type out your name and the reason for banning you

It seemed pretty instant to me. That's not my point though. Whether it was instantly or not, you still kicked me before the source of the problem. Did you even kick him to begin with? I sure wonder...
Huh? Using an idiom? Hostility? After you said: my quote

I wasn't being hostile, I was just pointing out facts. Usually when people are given the smallest bit of power it often goes straight to their head. (look up the Stanford prison experiment)
It's a common problem in our society and I simply wish such behaviors to disappear. Usually the people in question aren't even aware of what they're doing so I'm simply acting like a mirror to reflect your actions.

+Quote Post
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 14 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #11

Squire

Okay, this will probably be the last thing I post on this thread.

I was under the impression that I had clearly pointed out to that you had broken the rules by quoting them in my initial reply. But in case you don't believe me, please click here.

That's not my point though. Whether it was instantly or not, you still kicked me before the source of the problem. Did you even kick him to begin with? I sure wonder...

And you are clearly missing my point. I was spectating "Arrow". I was sure that I would get some proof of his actions and ban him. I saw you kick him into the water, which is as you surely know an instant TK and banned you for it. I kept on spectating "Arrow" some more, but could not gather any proof of his misbehaviour, so I went back to playing. My point is that he baited you and that you keep acting like I didn't do anything about him, when you prevented me from punishing him by giving him the satisfaction. If you would have just stood still and let me gather my proof, I would have surely permabanned him.

This is pointless, have a nice day.

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Peasant

Come on, unban me already you beautiful son of a bitch.
Deep down inside you know I'm a good boy.

All those things you may have perceived as hostile were said in the heat of the moment. You can't blame a guy for being passionate about a game he's played for over a thousand hours.
I promise I'll try to contain my anger with trolls in the future and I apologize for my past actions. [enter further ego stroking here]

If you choose to not unban me that's fine as well, I won't hate you for it. (maybe only a little bit) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
__ the AIRPLANE
post Dec 14 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #13

Squire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DVh9IPHqM

+Quote Post
The Following 1 Users Say Thank You to __ the AIRPLANE For This Useful Post:
Monseigneur Duc du Foutre
ssupp
post Dec 14 2017, 11:50 PM
Post #14

Peasant

QUOTE (__ the AIRPLANE @ Dec 14 2017, 11:43 PM) *

IT WAS THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT
TELLING YOU WHAT MY HEART MEANT
THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT
SHONE IN YOUR EYES

Come on, are you some kinda fun cop?

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 15 2017, 12:45 AM
Post #15

Peasant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcjhnJHNjtQ#t=29s

+Quote Post
The Malefic Trou...
post Dec 15 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #16

Knight Errant

Group: Old Git SM Members
Thank(s): 344
Member No.: 4,549

Man, you've some issues. I'm genuinely frightened right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 15 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #17

Peasant

I'm simply quick to forgive after I've vented my frustrations my man.

+Quote Post
MonkeyFiend
post Dec 18 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #18

Security and Projects

Group: Clan Dogsbody
Thank(s): 1098
From: A Magical Place, with toys in the million, all under one roof
Member No.: 1

From my own personal perspective, nothing quite as annoying as having someone be reported, then you drop out of game to spectate and instead of making a nice clean ban, instead have someone (often the reportee) take matters into their own hands and start TKing. You end up without evidence to kick the original player and have to waste even more time.

So to paraphrase:

you report a player
the admin goes to spectate (yes, you weren't told this, but informing a server full of public that an admin is spectating is counter productive; the reported just stop trolling)
Before the admin gathers evidence you take matters into your own hands and attack your teammate
You say you got kicked before kicking the "problem creator" - how do you know what happens after you got kicked? I often get reports of people TKing go spectate then kick everyone involved. The first person to go doesn't see everyone else leaving the game do they?
You say you "never broke any rules to begin with?" - you also intentionally kicked your teammates. This is breaking the rules. At best not understanding the rules. At worst lying.
You make various complaints about admin abuse/unfair use of admin powers. NO. You broke the rules, you got kicked.
Anyone else breaking the rules would be kicked/banned once we see evidence (usually gathered in spectate). We don't inform you of this and you may not be around to see it. Even if you are, public can't see any difference between a player leaving the server, being kicked or being banned.

That being said I think most of the comments from trout and airplane have bene pretty level and explanatory, but you've not really seemed to process them.

Over to airplane then: lift the ban, make temp or permanent and I'll close the thread afterwards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Robin (not s...
post Dec 18 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #19

Knight Lieutenant

Group: Trusted non-SM
Thank(s): 524
Member No.: 4,846

QUOTE (MonkeyFiend @ Dec 18 2017, 02:36 PM) *
From my own personal perspective, nothing quite as annoying as having someone be reported, then you drop out of game to spectate and instead of making a nice clean ban, instead have someone (often the reportee) take matters into their own hands and start TKing. You end up without evidence to kick the original player and have to waste even more time.

So to paraphrase:

you report a player
the admin goes to spectate (yes, you weren't told this, but informing a server full of public that an admin is spectating is counter productive; the reported just stop trolling)
Before the admin gathers evidence you take matters into your own hands and attack your teammate

Can we have this part pinned somewhere? Or even put it in this topic?

+Quote Post
ssupp
post Dec 18 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #20

Peasant

In my opinion a 4 day ban just seems a bit extreme for a first time offender. I know I kicked Airplane before and I got a warning afterwards, but can't you go from warning to a two hour ban, to a one day ban, etc instead? It just seems a bit more gradual instead of immediately grabbing the belt whenever someone breaks the rules.

I'm not just saying this for my own sake, but for the server's sake.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:06 PM
Sneaky Monkeys Clan :: MonkeyFiend.com